Unit: 1 Each
Regulatory Status: CLIA Waived (whole blood) / Professional Use Only
Contents: (1) Analyzer, (1) Printer (w/ 400 Labels), Power Supplies, (1) Quick Reference Guide, (1) Optics Check Cassette, (1) Accessory Kit ¹, (1) Starter Pack ²
Determinations: Total Cholesterol (TC) / High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) / Triglycerides / TC-HDL Ratio / non-HDL / Calculated LDL / Glucose
Storage Requirements: 59° – 86° F
Power Source: AC Adapter
Sample Volume: 40uL
Processing Time: 5 minutes
The Alere Cholestech LDX System offers a full range of cholesterol testing options, from the basic Total Cholesterol cassette to the full Lipid Profile+Glucose cassette, which includes Total Cholesterol, Trigylcerides, HDL, calculated LDL, and Blood Glucose. These simple tests can be used to determine a patient’s risk for heart disease or to regularly monitor patients already undergoing treatment.
The LDX only requires 40uL of blood and takes just 5 minutes to generate a lab-accurate, comprehensive measurement of a patient’s cholesterol levels. The speed and ease of use of the LDX System enables doctors to counsel patients at the time of the testing – a tremendous therapeutic advantage over traditional lab testing and a more convenient option for patients.
The LDX is “CLIA waived” under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988 and CRMLN Certified. The system is simple to use, requires minimal training and is as reliably accurate as tests offered in a laboratory. In most cases, Medicare and third-party health insurance reimburse the costs of the LDX System tests.
Fast – Results in 5 minutes.
Accurate – Provides precise, reliable results for multiple cholesterol types with one fingerstick. Meets National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) guidelines
Portable – Weighs only 2.9 pounds, making it ideal for use in the field as well as in the office environment.
Versatile – Offers a variety of cholesterol testing combinations including, TC, TC-Glucose, TC-HDL, TC-HDL-Glucose, Lipid Profile, and Lipid Profile+Glucose.
Certified – CLIA Waived and CRMLN Certified
LDX System Includes:
Quick Reference Guide
Printer (w/ 400 Thermal Labels)
Optics Check Cassette
24/7 Technical Support
Worry-free 2-year Warranty
¹Accessory Kit contains: (1) User Manual, (1) Printer Cable
²Starter Pack contains: (200) 40uL Capillary Tubes, (200) Capillary Plungers, (200) Lancets, (1) 40uL Mini-Pet Pipette, (50) Pipette Tips, (1) Accessory Tray
- Compact – Small footprint (21cm x 12cm) for easy tabletop use and storage
- Portability – Light-weight design ideal for transport to health screenings and other point-of-care applications
- User-Friendly – Requires minimal training and includes an easy-to-use printer that can provide multiple copies of test results for convenient chart management and patient handout.
- Low Maintenance – Factory calibrated with simple, inexpensive software upgrades
- Fast Results – Quick, 3-step procedure saves time, enhances productivity
- Small Sample Size – Requires only 40uL of blood from a simple fingerstick
- Instant Feedback – Provides immediate test results for on-the-spot adjustment of therapy and improved patient compliance
- CLIA Waived – The only CLIA-waived system of its kind, meeting all relevant National Cholesterol Education (NCEP) guidelines for precision and accuracy
- CRMLN Certified – This certification validates that the system consistently meets the Gold Standard for accuracy and reproducibility developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for the measurement of total cholesterol and HDL cholesterol consistent with National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) analytical goals.
Approximately 85% of the cholesterol in our blood is produced by our own bodies with the remaining 15% coming from animal products found in our diet. Moderate amounts of cholesterol (a type of lipid) are essential for production, maintenance, and fluidity of cell membranes; nerve insulation and conduction; as well as hormone and bile salt production. The total cholesterol reading is an indication of the overall amount of cholesterol circulating in the blood at the time the test is given. High density lipoprotein is beneficial to heart health due to its ability to transport cholesterol and triglycerides within the water-based bloodstream to the liver for removal or re-utilization. Triglycerides are created by conversion of unused calories and carbohydrates into fat (another type of lipid). These fats are stored for use as the body’s energy source between meals. Low-density lipoproteins are large particles that have the ability to transport cholesterol through the blood and directly into the artery walls, which creates a dangerous build-up of lipids and plaque known as atherosclerosis.
High levels of total cholesterol (over 200 mg/dL), LDL (over 130 mg/dL), triglycerides (over 150 mg/dL) as well as a low HDL level (under 60 mg/dL) can be detrimental to our health, leading to increased fat deposits and plaque build-up in blood vessel walls, clogging arteries, and significantly increasing the potential for heart attack or stroke.
Although heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US, only 20% of those cases can be attributed to genetic risk factors. By focusing on diet, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and regularly testing cholesterol levels, patients can be proactive in reducing their chances for heart disease.
Blood glucose is a simple sugar that comes from the breakdown of carbohydrates. It is the primary source of energy used by the body. As we digest carbohydrates, glucose enters the blood, raising blood sugar levels and stimulating the pancreas to release insulin which helps the cells absorb glucose for energy or storage. If blood glucose levels rise too rapidly or too often, the cells become ineffective in their response to insulin leading to metabolic syndrome and eventually diabetes. It is important to test blood glucose periodically to assess your body’s ability to process it effectively.